Saturday, May 8, 2010

Portland's NYC


Whenever I think about Portland's fashion dynamics, I relate to NYC. Of course Portland has an incredibly unique flava' and style, but in some ways I see how it mirrors NYC.


For instance, last week I invited my friends to go to this great fashion show (Mercury) in Portland. The first thing one must decide on when doing anything 'fashion' is, "What will I wear?". Considering my taste to be classic and sophisticated, maybe even Manhattan-worthy, I thought and thought about what I should wear to stand out. I finally decided on this mini black dress, with modern bows and twists. Topping it off with tights and wedges, and I was happy with the completed look. Or so I thought....


Most fashion events I have been involved with occur on the west side. However, this event was happening on the East side. The more I thought about it, the more my fashion mind began redirecting my choice of garments into something entirely different.


When it comes to Portland, this is how it breaks down - NYC style. The Pearl district, where I consider home, is Manhattan. The SW side is like NYU - intellectual, casual and sporty. The eastside is like Brooklyn. Edge is everyone's middle name; be prepared to rock individuality. And then there are the suburbs - New Jersey.


In the end, I turned in my Manhattan-Pearl district classic dress, wedges and headbands, for a great pair of Brooklyn-Eastside tights, stilettos and a leather belt. Diversity is important, but in Portland, understanding what side of the water you are on, during a great fashion event, may be even more. Trust me on this one...I love rocking personal style, but wearing the wrong accessory in the wrong part of town could cause a staring fest...or maybe more!


Thank God for indecision and fashion insights!

No comments:

Post a Comment