Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wish I was Better at....

The list for this title could go on and on, but in reference to my fashion design career, I must say that I wish I was better at pattern-making.

Pattern-making is a crucial talent needed in the design industry.  Of course, there are professional pattern makers outer there, but if you can rock patterns out yourself, it's going to save you more than a few bucks.

It is amazing all of the details and steps that goes into being a fashion designer.  Thanks to Project Runway, whether you are in the fashion world or not, we all have a basic idea of the design process.  Of course, seeing it all done in one hour makes it seem almost doable.  However, in reality, there is so much that goes into each and every step, many designers must hire help to complete them.


Although you don't need to go to an art school to learn how to be a fashion designer, it does help.  A lot of times, instructors open up a side of you that may have not come out, if not pushed towards a certain direction. Talents that you may not have known about or seen before can be revealed by taking classes out of your comfort zone, allowing your skillset to truly explore.

Even though I am a self-taught designer, persay, having learned everything I know from my very talented mother, I still have areas that I wish I was better at.  Perservering and research are great, but sometimes asking for help is the best way to go. 

Belladonna Marie, is a brand created exclusively by me.  From concept, to sketch, to pattern-making, I actually did it all!  See the full collection for SS2011 at http://www.belladonnamarie.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment